The warm-up generally consists of a gradual increase in intensity in physical activity to prepare the body for more vigorous exercise.
The purpose of the warm up is to:
- Gradually prepare the muscles and joints for the movements that will follow
- Slowly increase heart rate, blood circulation and core temperature to prepare for cardio activity
- Increase blood flow into the muscles
- Lubricate the joints
- Improve flexibility
- Reduce risk of injury
- Prevent damage to the skeletal muscle, connective tissue and the heart
- Gets you mentally ready for the class
Whether you attend a class in person or online, I highly recommend that arrive on time and fully participate in the warm up section of the Zumba Gold class (ie generally the first three tracks). In this way, you are preparing your body for physical activity and reducing your risk of injury!